Saturday, March 10, 2012

What kind of empirical data is there about sliding into first base?

I coach a little league team and have a player who has slid into first. He argued that he was trying to get there quickly. I said that besides increasing his chance of injury (the kid is only 10 afterall) the evidence about sliding into first is inconclusive. Now that I've said it I would love some data to back me up or prove me wrong. I did a little searching but was unsuccessful. Anyone know of some places that could help?What kind of empirical data is there about sliding into first base?
Running is faster because the runner is moving a full speed through first base. With sliding she would have the static friction with the ground, which would slow her down slightly. Also, as soon as she leaves the ground to slide, there's no more propulsion, which slows her down even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment